CONTACTS +02 906 2892


7 Vincent Van Gogh Street 1407 Sofia, Bulgaria

HONORARY Consulate of Malaysia in Bulgaria

Frequently Asked Questions

We are here to answer them all

Travelling and Documents

Needed documents for visiting Malaysia
  • Passport:

Malaysia can be entered with an international passport, valid for a minimum of 6 months on the date of entry into the country. Bulgarian citizens do not need visas if the visit is less than 90 days. An MDAC form must be completed prior to arrival.


  • MDAC:

The Malaysia Digital Arrival Card (MDAC) is a new online form introduced as part of Malaysia’s Visa Liberalization Plan. Effective 1 January 2024, all passengers are required to apply for their MDAC card 3 days before arriving in Malaysia, except: those transiting through Singapore; permanent residents of Malaysia; Malaysian Automated Clearance System (MACS) holders; holders of diplomatic and official passports.

Click here to apply for MDAC.

  • Visa Card (for over 90 days long visits only):

Visas are only required for trips over 90 days. If your trip exceeds 90 days, the country offers the option of an electronic visa. Travelers are required to complete an online application to apply for a visa to enter Malaysia. Electronic visas are issued after completing the application form.


Click here to apply for an e-Visa.

Needed documents for visiting Bulgaria
  • Passport:

Bulgaria can be entered with an international passport valid for a minimum of 6 months on the date of entry into the country. Malaysian citizens do not need visas if the visit is less than 90 days.

  • ETIAS:

From 2025, the European Commission will introduce an electronic verification system for visitors from third countries (ETIAS). In 2025, the European Commission will introduce an electronic verification system for visitors from third countries (ETIAS). These visitors will be granted visa-free access to the member states of the European Union (EC) and to those in the Schengen area. The system aims to improve the EU’s internal security and minimize illegal immigration. ETIAS is not a substitute for a visa, but applying for the system will be mandatory for Malaysians traveling to Bulgaria. Under ETIAS, these visitors will go through additional security checks before being allowed to enter the EU.

Malaysian Passports

(All issues related to Malaysian Passports must be referred to the Embassy of Malaysia in Bucharest – Romania. Honorary consulate of Malaysia will not be able to issue Malaysian passports)

How to renew my passport before it expires?
You are advised to renew your passport six (6) months prior to its expiry date.
Should I renew my passport?

Every Malaysian citizen abroad should have valid proof of his/her citizenship at all times. Life is unpredictable, you may suddenly need to travel to Malaysia. It is much better to renew the passport six (6) months in advance than worrying about it in an emergency.


Adults who wait more than five years cannot renew an expired passport. You will have to apply in person and pay an extra fee.

Issuing an emergency passport

If you do not have a valid Malaysian passport with valid reason and you have an urgent need to travel, the Embassy is able to issue an emergency certificate under very specific and limited circumstances, which is valid only for A ONE WAY trip to Malaysia.  Failure to plan adequately ahead for business or personal travel does not constitute an emergency. Please send an e-mail to and, please include the following information:


  • Name and Contact Information; 


  • A description of your situation.


You will receive a reply within three (3) working days. It may not be possible to accommodate all requests. Therefore, it is important that you plan well in advance of your trips.

Extending passport validity

The validity period of passports cannot be extended. If your passport has less than six months validity, you will need to apply for a new passport.

I've recovered a passport I'd reported as lost

Once a passport is reported lost or stolen to the Embassy, it is immediately and automatically cancelled to prevent mala-fide travelers from using it. Even if you recover your passport, it must be replaced, as you will experience significant problems if you attempt to use it to travel.

When can I collect my passport?

The Embassy will notify you by email once they receive your passport from Immigration Department of Malaysia in Putrajaya (Headquarters). However, before coming to collect your passport, you should visit our website for Embassy Consular hours and public holiday schedule.

You may arrange a courier to collect your new passport or you may delegate someone to pick up the passport on your behalf once it is ready, by sending an email at  or and advising us of the name, identification type, and identification number that said person will present. He/she must bring:


  • The collection/authorization letter signed by you in original;


  • A valid government issued photo ID;


  • Your current passport, which will be canceled and returned on the same day.


If there are any doubts regarding the validity of the authorization letter, the applicant will have to come to pick up his/her passport in person.

Passports for minors may be picked up by one of their parents or legal guardians or a designated representative.  The minor applicant does not need to come to the Embassy.

VISA Application

(All issues related to VISA applications must be referred to the Embassy of Malaysia in Bucharest – Romania. Honorary consulate of Malaysia will not be able to issue Malaysian VISA)

Can I apply for a VISA online?

You can NOT apply for a VISA online. Applicants are required to schedule an appointment and submit the application in person. An interview may be conducted.

Can third party submit my VISA application on behalf of me?

Yes. Original authorization letter signed by the visa applicant is required for submission and collection if the visa applicant cannot submit/collect the visa personally.

Do I need to submit flight and hotel bookings?

Flight booking confirmation and hotel bookings are requested during visa submission but the consular officer might request any other documents which may be relevant after submission of application.



*Do not purchase confirmed tickets as they may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.

How long does it take to process a VISA?

It takes at least 2-3 working days to process. It might take longer if additional documentation is required. 


*There is NO urgent visa processing service, you may apply for your visa in due time prior to enter Malaysia.

VISA validity period
The validity of the visa is 90 days from the date of issue of the single entry visa/ visa with reference number.
Why was my VISA application rejected and can I apply again?

We can’t reveal the reason of rejection. If your application was rejected, you can apply again after six months from the date of rejection.

*Please be aware that you might be denied entry if you are entering Malaysia for short-term stay but the total duration of your stay in Malaysia in a year exceeds 180 days.

Do I need to pay VISA application if it got rejected?

No, you will not be required to pay VISA fees if the visa is not issued.

For Malaysian citizens with Malaysian passport:

Malaysian nationals holding biometric passport compliance with ICAO standard do not need a visa to enter Bulgaria (Romania, Greece, Moldova) if they intend to stay no more than 90 days and the purpose of their visit is for tourism, transit, business meetings, visiting friends and relatives.


Those who plan to stay for more than 90 days, to work or study in Bulgaria (Romania, Greece and Moldova), have to obtain a visa before entering the country.

How to get a VISA to Malaysia in order to study/work there

If you wish to work/study in Malaysia, the receiving company or Academic institution (in Malaysia) will need to apply for an Employment/Student Pass on your behalf through through the Immigration Department of Malaysia.


Once approved, you will need to contact the Embassy of Malaysia in Bucharest, Romania to apply for a visa with a reference with said company/institution.


How to register my marriage overseas?

Non-Muslim marriage can be registered at the Embassy of Malaysia in Bucharest, provided that at least one person in said couple is a Malaysian citizen. Registration of marriage must be made within six (6) months of the marriage ceremony.


Marriage of Muslim couples (at least one person in said couple is a Malaysian citizen) that is done abroad also needs to be registered at the religious office in respective states once back in Malaysia.


*Please be aware of the Sharia laws and requirements of respective states to register Muslim marriages overseas BEFORE getting married abroad. 


What to do in case of an emergency in Bulgaria?

The Embassy of Malaysia in Bucharest will respond to an emergency situation that has the potential to endanger the safety or lives of Malaysian citizens, i.e. natural disaster, civil unrest or war.


*It is important that you register with the nearest Embassy so that they are aware of your presence.

Can the Embassy or Honorary Consulate help in emergencies?

Only to a certain degree. Consular officers and Honorary Consuls can help you find local hospitals, doctors or medical services, but the medical bill MUST be borne by you/your family. The officer also can inform your family or friends back home that you are having a medical emergency, and can help you get money sent from home, if needed. The Embassy or Honorary Consulate will not, however, pay any hospital or medical expenses on your behalf.

Will I get help if I were the victim of a crime?

Yes. If you’re robbed, assaulted or otherwise victimized in a foreign country, you should contact the Embassy or Honorary Consulate as soon as possible. Our staff can connect you to resources, including local lawyers who speak English; contact family and friends (with your permission); update you on the status of your case; and connect you with local medical or emergency services.


The Embassy can NOT, however, investigate the crime, serve as your official interpreter, or provide legal advice.

Can I get help if I were in troudble with the law?

Many inexperienced travelers think that if they get arrested overseas, their status as foreign citizens will automatically protect them. That’s not the case. When you’re traveling abroad, you are subject to the local laws — and if you break them, you may have to suffer the consequences.



However, the Embassy can be a powerful ally for you if you get into legal trouble overseas. Ask the local authorities to notify the Embassy as soon as possible.


Consular staff can:

  • Recommend local attorneys who speak English.
  • Contact your family, friends, or employer on your behalf.
  • Visit you in jail and make sure you’re receiving adequate care.
  • Advise you on how the local criminal justice process works.
  • Ensure that you can meet with a clergy person of your religion, should you choose.
  • Enable your friends and family to send you money.

The Embassy cannot, however, get you out of jail, serve as your official interpreter, provide legal advice, pay your legal fees or intervene in the justice process.

Consular assistance

Consular assistance from the Malaysian Embassy (Bucharest)

Malaysian Missions abroad provide consular assistance such as:


  • Issuance of visa (abroad)
  • Registration of Malaysians living abroad
  • Issuance of Emergency Certificate (loss of travel document/passport)
  • Registration of marriage
  • Registration of birth
  • Registration of death
  • Assistance to Malaysian nationals arrested abroad
  • Issuance, renewal and extension of travel documents
  • Registration of voters
  • Issuance of Good Conduct Certificate
  • Serving of court documents abroad

After being officially informed of the arrest of Malaysian citizens, Malaysian Missions can contact the arrested/detained person, arrange for family/next of kin to be informed if they so wish, give advice and guidance with the primary aim of helping and providing a list of local doctors and lawyers.


In the event of injury, arrest or detention, the Embassy will assist in notifying your next-of-kin if you so wish. Also they may assist you in the transfer of necessary emergency funds from relatives and/or friends in Malaysia.


In the event of the death of a Malaysian citizen in one of the countries The Embassy is accredited, the Embassy and Honorary Consulate are ready to assist the relatives to bring back the remains of that dead person back to Malaysia. However, the cost MUST be borne by the relative/next of kin.

Consular assistance from the Honorary Consulate (Sofia)

We are here to assist Malaysian nationals on the territory of Bulgaria with any kind of concerns they may have.


  • Assistance to Malaysian nationals on the territory of Bulgaria
  • Simple translation i.e. Police reports
  • Assisting Malaysians in the case of emergencies i.e. natural disasters, death of Malaysians in Bulgaria

Honorary consuls of Malaysia

What the Honorary Consul CAN do:

The Honorary Consul can:

  • Collect applications and consular documents related to renewal of passports, marriage and birth certificates, deaths and forward them to the Embassy of Malaysia in Bucharest.
  • The Honorary Consul can also offer consular assistance to the Malaysians arrested, imprisoned or who are hospitalized / victim of the accidents. In this regard, he has the right, upon the request of the concerned persons, to:
    • Visit those persons at the place of their arrest/detention facilities or in the hospitals and make sure that the concerned persons are receiving adequate care such as to ensure access to the prison’s healthcare system or to advocate for their rights under local law;
    • Assists those persons in notifying their next-of-kin back home on their behalf if they wish so and enable them to send money, if needed.
    • Advise on how the local criminal justice process works and also recommend local attorneys who speak English.
    • Provide a list of attorneys and hospitals, doctors or medical services available locally.
  • When a Malaysian dies, the Honorary Consul can:
    • Locate and notify the next-of-kin and the Embassy of Malaysia in Bucharest; 
    • Issue a report of death abroad, and act as personal conservator for the deceased’s effects when needed.
    • Provide a list of funeral homes and attorneys available locally.
  • For the victims of crimes, the Honorary Consul can help with:
    • Offering contacts of local English-speaking lawyers and local interpreters, doctors, advise you on how to transfer funds (which are not recommendations) and help to contact to your family at home for further assistance.
    • Advice on local police and medical systems as well as guidance to the country’s legal processes and procedures.
What the Honorary Consul CANNOT do:

While the Honorary Consul will make efforts to provide assistance in as many situations as possible, there may be tasks which are outside his/her role or which cannot be provided for policy reasons, due to his/her non-diplomatic position. These include:


  • Issue Visa
  • Issue Passports or Emergency travel certificates
  • Register births, deaths and marriages abroad and issue birth/marriage/death certificates
  • Renew or replace driver’s licenses

As the situations mentioned above will all require you to refer to the Embassy of Malaysia in Bucharest, Romania.


  • Arrange for local visas, licenses, work or residency permits or issuance of any local documents.
  • Locate or provide information on Malaysian or local citizens without their permission.
  • Carry out searches for missing people, except with the cooperation of the local authorities, neither to Investigate crimes or deaths, which is the responsibility of the local authorities.
  • Provide legal assistance or intervene in judicial cases neither to intervene in host country’s court proceedings or legal matters including employment disputes, commercial disputes, criminal cases and family law matters or child custody disputes.
  • To intervene in immigration or customs matters.